Pages

Search this blog

October 13, 2010

Running makes me sick

Before I came to Digoin I had this idea that I was going to take up running while here. There's not a whole lot to do, and as the town is situated at the crossroads of a river and canal, I figured I would have nothing better to do than kill myself running.

I have this memory problem where entire conversations and experiences go into a black hole, so in the weeks leading up to my departure I must have said to Matt, "Do you think I'm going to start running when I'm in France?" or "I think I'm going to start running when I'm in France." about a billion times. I was obsessed. I had dreams about it. I even bought an iPod armband.

Yesterday was the perfect first day for my new fit life. The entire country--including the teachers I had classes with-- was on strike to protest the change in retirement age from 60 to 62. Thus I had nothing to do (all the shops were closed) and nowhere to go (trains weren't running), so I decided to lace up my trainers and go for a leisurely jog in the lovely weather.

It. Was. Hell. It would appear I have a mild form of asthma, as evidenced by my burning lungs and the wheezing, oh the wheezing, after I'd gone about a mile. I walked about another mile down a lovely riverside road as I contemplated my craptastic performance. How in the f can I be so out of shape? I walk EVERYWHERE, sometimes hours every day, and I had just spent much of the weekend lugging suitcases (and my body) up and down several million flights of stairs in Paris. People like Brady can run entire marathons, but I can barely run a mile?

Plus, I woke up this morning with a terrible sore throat, which can only be an anti-gift my body protesting the torture I put it through yesterday.

So now I'm torn between being determined to improve by going at it several times a week, and prematurely throwing in the towel because running is just not good for the health.

5 comments:

  1. Haha! "anti-gift"...sorry to hear about your greve. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina. I HATE running too. Sometimes I force myself to do it. When I do, I run until I think I'm going to puke, then I walk a little, then I slowly jog again, then walk again. It's usually like a mile on, half mile off. Running is the worst! It's way harder than walking. And there's no shame in running a little bit then walking when you have to. You'll see yourself be able to run longer and longer (if you want) but do not push it gurl! There's no point in being sick in pretty France.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna's right. The secret to running is to start slow and build day by day. If you really want to do it, it can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DON'T THROW IN THE TOWEL YET. Seriously, Nina. You can do it. But, as Anna so smartly pointed out, start slowly. Try the run/walk method. Run for two minutes, walk for one minute. Gradually, you will find you need to walk less and are able to run more.

    If it continues to suck or make you sick, then by all means, find another activity :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. FRANCEY PANTS YOU HAVEN'T WRITTEN IN LIKE 8 MILLION DAYS, I AM GOING THROUGH WITHDRAWAL!

    PS - this is not me being sarcastic. I want to hear more about cheese and bread and blue rooms and funny french students.

    Love, Steph

    ReplyDelete