Pages

Search this blog

October 18, 2009

My Sister by Another Mister

After an application process that took many moons, Big Brothers Big Sisters decided that I was un-scary enough to get a little buddy. It's been about a month since I've been matched, and I thought I'd tell you all about the hijinks that Seest0r and I have gotten into.

On our first playdate we drew pictures. This is a picture of the artiste, by the artiste:

Please notice how the features are tilted to the right, which indicates that she is a budding artistic genius. I also taught her to knit and she picked it up immediately. Not only that, but on our next outing-- a full week later-- she remembered exactly how to do it. Future Mensa member? Almost certainly.

Two weeks I took her bowling for her first time, and helped her get her first spare. I tell you, the smile on that girl's face could have lit a cave at the bottom of the ocean where the fish are colorless and freaky looking.

Last week I took her to see Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, and she spent a good portion of the movie asking how and why things happened. Curious like a kitty. A genius kitty.

We're going ice skating today, and I've spent the morning trying to remember the moves I learned during an ice skating class at the U in the spring semester of my junior year. I was the picture of grace and beauty.

Despite what I'm sure is entirely accurate muscle memory, I think I'm going to have to insist that Seest0r wear a helmet just in case I accidentally bring her down with me when I inevitably trip.

I'm most excited for three weeks from now, when we'll see a production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I ran into a higher-up at the theater when I went to get my tickets, and he offered to give us a backstage tour if we got there a little early. Bangarang.

If you have any awesome, low-cost ideas for a future hang out sesh for us, please leave them in the comments. Merci!

5 comments:

  1. The best part about hanging with kids is that you get to go to movies your be embarassed to see otherwise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed with your big sister-ness, a role model for us all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you! Your comments reflect your generous spirit. The New Moon girl in you lives on into the future.

    Will you take N to see WtWTA? It got a very good review in the NYT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take her to a local beauty school for a manicure or pedicure, they are cheap there, especially for the basic one, and you will have a great time!
    Also, with your love for cooking, are there any cooking classes at area grocery stores that are inexpensive?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn't really make her wear a helmet, did you?

    ReplyDelete