Pages

Search this blog

May 9, 2011

Au revoir, mes enfants

"Profitez, profitez, profitez."

At the orientation for assistants this fall, one of the program employees urged us to make the most of our year abroad.

Many people put traveling off-- it's something to do once you've established yourself, once your family is grown, once you have saved enough money. But I didn't want to wait until my knees were too weak to handle all the merde-ing stairs and I was so set in my ways that I couldn't handle a different way of life. Though they were too polite to say so, lots of my friends and family probably thought I was being completely irresponsible for leaving a good job with good benefits for seven months of gallivanting. But it was one of the best decisions I've made, and this was the best year of my life.

Though it makes my heart ache to leave the country I've come to know and love so well, I do so knowing I made the very best of it.

Ce n'est pas adieu... je vais retourner. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how bittersweet. This has been one of the best years of my life too. What a gift.

    ReplyDelete